Guide : Benefits of Eating Eggs
Eggs are often called ‘superfoods’, and there are various reasons for it. Like apples, eating eggs regularly can also keep the doctors away. Though many people say that you should only eat the egg whites, doctors recommend that you eat both the whites and the yolk as both are nutritious. Eggs are rich in vitamins, proteins, and minerals. They are considered to be the ‘complete’ source of protein as all the 9 essential amino acids are present. Some eggs also contain omega-3 fatty acids that are considered to be very healthy.
You will find various types of eggs in the market, like those of duck, goose, and quail; however, chicken eggs are most common. Eggs provide a lot of health benefits and we are going to mention some of them here.
Eggs are good for the overall health as it is packed with nutrition. These are rich in protein, vitamins, selenium, iron, zinc, copper and other minerals. Though egg yolks have more calories and fat, they contain fat soluble vitamins that are good for the health.
- Protein in eggs helps to form stronger bones, aid in weight loss and increase muscle mass.
- Eggs contain vitamins A, B2, B12, and E which are good for eyesight. They also help to break down food into energy and produce red blood cells. Vitamin E fights off free radicals and prevents cellular damage.
- Omega-3 present in many eggs is extremely good for your overall health.
- It contains iron that is helpful for women during menstruation.
- It contains zinc that keeps the immune system strong.
- It has a high amount of phosphorus that is needed for healthy bones and teeth.
- Iodine in eggs helps to make thyroid hormones.
- It contains selenium that helps to reduce the risk of cancer.
So, you can see that egg is a powerhouse of nutrients. You shouldn’t miss having an egg for a single day; otherwise, your body will lose a lot of beneficial nutrients.
2. Prevents Stroke and Heart Diseases
Eggs contain Betaine and Choline that promotes heart health. If you can eat one egg a day, it will reduce your chance of having a stroke or heart disease considerably.
- An egg helps to increase the good cholesterol which lowers the risk of stroke or heart disease.
- It raises the level of large LDL cholesterol that is good for heart health.
- It contains selenium that has powerful anti-inflammatory property and can help to prevent cardiovascular disease.
- Though egg contains cholesterol, it won’t raise the cholesterol level of your blood and so, is good for your heart. When you take more cholesterol, your liver will produce less cholesterol, and so the effect will even out without causing any harm to the body.
- Egg whites contain a high amount of potassium that helps to reduce high blood pressure.
- Egg whites can prevent blood clotting and so helps to maintain cardiovascular health by maintaining proper blood flow.
So, eggs are vital for your cardiovascular health. If you already have some heart issues then you should talk to the doctor to know about your recommended dosage of an egg.
3. Good for the Bones and Muscles
Eggs contain vitamin D that is good for the bones. So, eating an egg regularly can prevent bone-related diseases, such as osteoporosis and rickets. You should try to get free range organic eggs to get the most amounts of vitamin D. Eggs also contain calcium that restores the bone density and prevents fractures or diseases, like rickets. Egg whites contain lots of protein which is good for muscle growth. It is vital for the children as it helps to build strong muscles.
4. Weight Loss
Egg whites can help to get rid of the extra fat from the body. It keeps you full for a long time, suppresses your appetite and increases your energy levels.
- Egg is low in calories and so helps to maintain weight.
- It contains protein which is extremely filling, so you won’t feel hungry for a long time. Therefore, if you have a protein-rich breakfast, it will reduce your calorie intake throughout the day.
- It enhances metabolism and so you will burn more calories.
The best time to eat an egg is in the morning. So, if you eat an egg for your breakfast, it will help you to lose weight. You can have your egg boiled, baked, scrambled, poached or made into an omelet.
5. Beneficial for Eyes
Eggs contain Lutein and Zeaxanthin that are good for the eyes as they reduce the risks of cataracts, macular degeneration, and other common eye disorders. You must have heard that deficiency of vitamin A is one of the most common reasons for blindness. Eggs contain a high amount of vitamin A, and so it can prevent blindness if taken regularly. Carotenoids present in eggs help to produce vitamin A and so helps in neural retina function. You should eat the whole egg, not only the whites, for getting the most benefits from it.
6. Brain Health
When you were young, you must remember that your mother used to make sure that you eat an egg every day. Every parent knows that egg is essential for children, especially for their brain health. Egg contains the right mineral and vitamins that are good for the regular functioning of memory. It is rich in vitamin D that is good for the gray matter of the brain. Choline present in eggs also helps in brain development. So, during the time of pregnancy and breastfeeding, it is necessary for women to eat eggs as it will be helpful for the normal brain development of the child.
7. Prevent Cancer
Choline found in egg yolks can reduce the chance of breast cancer. If you eat two poached eggs for your breakfast, then you will have half of your recommended dosage of choline for the day. Egg yolks contain Phytoestrogen and vitamin D that can prevent cancer. So, you must include eggs in your diet to reduce the risk of having breast cancer and other types of cancers as well. You can eat egg in breakfast or add it to your salad during lunch or dinner.
8. Improves Physical Performance and Reduce Fatigue
Eggs contain B vitamins that will give you the energy to get going throughout the day. You should eat the whole egg to get all the benefits because egg whites contain vitamins B2 and B3, while egg yolks contain vitamins B5, B6, B12, and folate. Eggs can help to synthesize and maintain muscle. It can boost your workout and improve your overall physical performance. An egg is packed with protein that gives you a lot of energy. So, you will feel energized for the whole day.
9. Neurological Health
Choline found in an egg is important for the neurological development of both children and adults. It can help to get a sharper memory and so helps you to perform better in exams. Choline ensures proper Methylation process that is essential for nerve signaling, DNA formation, and detoxification. Choline can protect your nervous system from getting damaged. Eggs contain Carotenoids that have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties and play a vital role in the central nervous system. You should include at least 5 eggs in your diet every week to get the maximum health benefits.
10. Prevents Early Aging
If you consume egg whites regularly, it will help in cell and tissue rejuvenation. This results in smoother skin and helps to combat early signs of aging, such as wrinkles and fine lines.
- Egg contains Carotenoids that gives you healthy skin.
- It contains nine essential amino acids that are needed for repair and maintenance of the skin.
- It has a high amount of vitamin D that prevents new wrinkles appearing on your skin.
- It is also rich in vitamin E and helps to fight the free radicals that cause cellular damage. Vitamin A in eggs boosts the elasticity of the skin.
If you are worried about losing that youthful skin, you should eat eggs regularly. You can have it boiled, poached, or any other way you want to.
Many people avoid eating eggs due to the high cholesterol level. However, you should know that in about 70% of people, the cholesterol level doesn’t rise due to eggs. Instead of cutting off the egg from your diet, you should increase the consumption of fruits and vegetables, and lower the consumption of sugars and refined carbs. You can take up to 3 eggs per day. However, if you have a risk of heart disease, then it’s better to have 1 or 2 egg whites every day. Eating eggs regularly can give you a health boost that is required for healthy living.