Guide : Benefits of Eating Grapes
Grapes have been popular since the ancient time, mainly because of their use in wine-making. Besides this, grapes are very delicious fruits and are rich in nutrient and antioxidant contents. Red grapes, in particular, are very good for health due to the presence of Resveratrol. Grapes also contain fiber, vitamins, potassium, and other minerals. Various types of grapes are now cultivated in many parts of the world including black, red, yellow, and pink. You can get both the seeded and seedless varieties in the market. Grapes are extremely nutritious and provide a lot of health benefits that are mentioned below:
Grapes are packed with loads of nutrients that provide lots of health benefits. Here are some of the benefits you can get from grapes:
- Vitamin K in grapes promotes healthy bones and is good for blood clotting.
- It contains vitamin C that is a powerful antioxidant required for connective tissue health.
- The antioxidants in grapes help to repair the damage to cells that are caused due to free radicals. This reduces oxidative stress which is linked to various chronic diseases such as cancer, heart disease or diabetes.
You will get the highest amount of antioxidants in the seeds and skin of the grapes. Red grapes contain Resveratrol that protects the body from heart disease, reduces the blood sugar level and fights against cancer.
2. Prevents Cancer
Grapes are rich in a high concentration of beneficial plant compounds that can protect our body from various types of cancer.
- Resveratrol, mostly present in red grapes, acts as an antioxidant and blocks the growth and spread of the cancerous cells in the body.
- It protects the skin from the harmful UVB rays of the sun and can guard against skin cancer.
- It can also protect the body from the negative effects of radiation during the treatment of cancer.
- Grapes contain the flavonoid Quercetin that has anti-inflammatory properties and helps to slow down or prevent cancer growth.
- Grapes juice has proven to be very effective in treating breast cancer.
Chronic oxidative stress and inflammation are major reasons for the development of cancer and grapes can reduce these effects.
3. Beneficial for Heart Health
Grapes contain potassium that is good for heart health. There are also various other reasons why it is good for your heart.
- Potassium in grapes helps to maintain healthy blood pressure levels and reduces the chance of heart attack and stroke. In general, if you have higher levels of potassium in your body compared to sodium, then you will have less chance of heart diseases. So, eating grapes can increase the level of potassium in your body.
- Grapes reduce cholesterol absorption in the body. If you include red grapes in your regular diet, it will lower the level of ‘bad’ LDL cholesterol in the body. As the ‘bad’ LDL cholesterol blocks the blood vessels, grapes can help to prevent this from occurring and so reduce the chances of different coronary conditions.
- Resveratrol in red grapes also help to reduce the cholesterol levels due to its anti-inflammatory properties, and so lowers the chance of cardiovascular disease.
- Resveratrol also improves the dilation of blood vessels that allow blood to flow more easily. It also relaxes the walls of the blood vessels and so lowers the blood pressure and increases the volume of blood to flow through other parts of the body, delivering more oxygen and nutrients to the cells of the body.
- It increases the level of nitric oxide in the blood, preventing blood clots and so reducing the chance of heart attacks.
- It contains two main antioxidants Resveratrol and Quercetin that nullifies the effects of free radicals that are harmful to the body. They also reduce platelet clumping and help to filter toxins from the blood.
- The skin of grapes contains Saponins which binds with the cholesterol and thus prevents the absorption of cholesterol by the body.
Grapes are extremely beneficial for your heart health. You must have it regularly to lower your chances of suffering from any heart disease.
4. Protect Against Diabetes
Grapes are a great choice for those suffering from diabetes. They have a low glycemic index and so raises the blood sugar slowly and also reduces blood sugar levels. Resveratrol in grapes increases the insulin sensitivity and so helps to lower the blood sugar levels as well by increasing the number of glucose receptors in the cell membranes. It also protects us from diabetic neuropathy that affects the function of nerves. If you can manage your blood sugar level over time, it will lower the risk of diabetes.
5. Beneficial for the Eyes
Grapes contain plant chemicals that protect the eye from various diseases. It improves the overall retinal function and improves your vision. The Resveratrol, Lutein, and Zeaxanthin in grapes help to protect the retinal cells in the eyes from the negative effects of blue light and reduce the chance of developing macular degeneration. The Flavonoids in grapes have antioxidants that fight damage caused due to free radicals and prevents cataracts, retinopathy, and macular degeneration. A grape-enriched diet can protect your retina from deterioration.
6. Improves Bone Health
Grapes are full of important minerals such as magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, potassium, manganese, etc. which are very good for bone health.
- The minerals in grapes help to form bones and strengthen them.
- Vitamin K keeps the bones strong and prevents fractures.
- Copper can synthesize bone components that prevent bone loss.
If you include grapes in your regular diet, you will be able to prevent age-related problems like Osteoporosis.
7. Prevents Constipation
As grapes contain water and fiber, they will keep you hydrated and improve your bowel movements, therefore, reducing the chance of constipation. Grapes help to tone up the stomach and the intestinal muscles, thus aiding digestion and preventing constipation. As grapes contain a high amount of insoluble fiber, they remain the same as they move down the digestive tract. So, the bulk builds up and it allows excretion of healthy stools, without creating any constipation problem. Grapes are thought of as laxative food that is rich in cellulose, sugar and an organic acid which tones up the stomach and helps to relieve chronic constipation. However, you shouldn’t eat grapes if you have diarrhea, as the insoluble fiber in it doesn’t absorb water to dry out the stool.
8. Good for the Skin and Hair
If you consume grapes regularly, you will get supple and smooth skin and wonderful hair as well. You will get lots of skin and hair benefits from grapes, which includes the following:
- It protects against sunburns, so you won’t have to use sunscreen lotion if you include grapes in your regular diet. You can also apply it on your face by mashing it and making it into a paste. It can also reduce the redness that is caused due to sunburn.
- Grape skin acts as an exfoliate and helps to remove the dead skins, giving you smoother skin.
- It helps in combating uneven skin tone.
- Black grapes give volume to limp hair and make dull hair shiny.
- It can be an effective solution for dandruff too.
You can either eat grapes or apply the extract or juice on your face and hair to get all these amazing benefits from it.
9. Promotes Longevity
If you want to stay younger for a long time, you should include grapes in your regular diet. The plant compounds in grapes can affect aging. Resveratrol, found in grapes, stimulates proteins called Sirtuins, that promotes longevity. It provides the same effect as a calorie-restricted diet in which you can get the most nutritious diet by consuming the least number of calories. Free radicals can result in premature aging. Grapes contain antioxidants that can protect the skin from the negative effects of these free radicals. The vitamin C in grapes helps to retain the elasticity of the skin, making you look younger. So, you can reverse the appearance of dark spots and wrinkles by consuming grapes regularly.
10. Improves Brain Functions
Eating grapes are good for your overall brain health. It can improve the following brain functions:
- Resveratrol in grapes helps to improve memory, mood, and learning.
- It can reduce the levels of Amyloidal-beta peptides in people suffering from Alzheimer’s disease and delay the onset of such degenerative neural diseases.
- It can improve the brain function of aged people.
- It can increase the blood flow to your brain and increase the mental dexterity.
- It boosts cognition and reduces the risk of harmful oxidation and cognitive decline.
Grapes are not only tasty but also very nutritious. They are often called ‘The Queen of Fruits’ due to the numerous health benefits you get from them. You should buy grapes that are juicy, plump and feels tight to the touch. If you store them in the refrigerator, they will last for many days. You can simply eat a handful of grapes or include it in your salad. You must include this super-nutritious fruit as part of your everyday diet.